Our carbon monoxide poisoning lawyers help those seriously injured or killed as a result of this deadly gas. Carbon monoxide affects thousands of people annually. This gas is colorless, odorless, and tasteless and is virtually undetectable, which is why it is often called the silent killer. While carbon monoxide poisoning is a known industrial hazard, people are often harmed by this the gas in other circumstances. Carbon monoxide can kill in the home from a furnace leak or improper ventilation. It can also occur in boats and recreational vehicles (RVs) from improper maintenance of generators or engines. There have even been instances of carbon monoxide poisoning at the work place.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that in high concentrations causes asphyxiation and death. Every year victims are seriously injured from CO producing devices, such as room furnaces, space heaters, lawn mowers, chain saws, barbeque grills, camping lanterns, stoves, gas ranges, water heaters, motor vehicles and RVs.
The Center of Disease Control estimates 500 people die from CO exposure every year, and that there are 15,000 hospital trips per year are attributed to this problem.
What makes this substance so deadly is that the carbon monoxide molecules bind with the hemoglobin in red blood cells and displaces the oxygen in our blood stream. When this oxygen is displaced, it cannot be delivered to the brain or other organs which causes organ death and a cascade of other problems.
Because the gas is undetectable by smell, a leak can go undetected for a long period of time. By the time the leak becomes apparent, the damage is done. The scary aspect of this substance is that victims are often injured or even killed without knowing anything was occurring.
If one is lucky enough to survive an exposure, poisoning can produce the following symptoms:
Our lawers investigate the unique facts of each case to determine who was responsible for the leak. The list of people we investigate include:
Carbon monoxide poisoning can often be prevented. Proper maintenance of all appliances is extremely important. Also, installing a CO monitor in your home can easily detect a problem before someone is hurt. Unfortunately, according to the National Fire Protection Association, currently only 15% of Americans have a CO monitor in their home.
In addition to detectors, we recommend:
If you or a loved one were injured or killed by a carbon monoxide leak, it is important to speak with an experienced lawyer who can investigate all sources of potential liability. Our goal is to ensure justice prevails in your case and that fair compensation is obtained. Contact us for a free legal consultation.